dimanche 29 septembre 2019

A Day Without Internet

Note: This is a guest post from Jess Chua of Optimal Living Daily.

My boyfriend and I moved into a new home earlier this year.

The water and electric utilities had been set up. The internet, however, was scheduled to be connected the following day.

For disclosure purposes, I don’t own a smartphone. Living without a smartphone isn’t as big of a deal to me as going without a wifi connection.

As a work from home writer, I’ve always considered high-speed internet to be a vital necessity. It keeps me connected to what’s going on in the world and in my network. Above all, it allows me to have a location independent career.

Since I knew I wasn’t going to have internet access for a couple of days and that would be a unique situation for me, I took some steps to prepare my “offline” workload for those days.

I expected to feel antsy and out of sorts. In reality, I was pleasantly surprised to undergo a thoroughly different experience. Instead of feeling lost, I managed to get a lot done and feel a deep sense of calm and satisfaction at the end of the work day.

Here are some things I learned from having temporarily limited internet access:

1. Planning doesn’t need to be complicated.

My preparation for working offline included downloading the documents I needed to refer to or edit onto a thumbdrive. I packed my work laptop and charger the night before so I wouldn’t need to rush or look for items in the morning. This helped me to start the day off on a refreshing and positive note.

2. Eliminating distractions is the key to sharpening focus.

I initially envisioned being irritated without internet access, because my mind wouldn’t be able to focus on anything else (which sounds like a classic case of withdrawal symptoms). However, I found my ability to focus was greatly enhanced in the absence of information at my fingertips.

Instead of obsessively researching and sifting through an endless plethora of data, I focused on each task at hand with undivided attention.

3. Technology shouldn’t replace nature.

I sometimes listen to instrumental music while writing or blogging. The music depends on my mood. On this day sans internet, I did my work to more natural sounds like birds chirping in the morning and leaves rustling in the afternoon breeze. During my lunch break, I watched some beautiful red cardinals and blue jays from my kitchen window.

Instead of getting caught up in digital news feeds and sensational headlines, I felt more calm observing and feeling connected to the natural world. We might tell ourselves that what’s on a virtual screen “isn’t real,” but its effects on us certainly are real.

4. You can be calm and productive at the same time.

I managed to check off the items on my to-do list with less mental stress than usual. Instead of trying to do too much while multitasking, I got what needed to be done through simplifying the day’s routine and streamlining my efforts under technologically limited circumstances.

If unplugging from the internet or other forms of technology is something you’ve never done before, the change from your daily routine can be scary to consider, but the rewards outweigh the risks. I’m almost ashamed to admit it took a delayed installer to open my eyes to it.

Thinking about dipping your toes into digital minimalism?

Try some of these tips to experience the benefits while limiting your reliance on technology.

Get organized. Set aside a bit of time in the morning for organizing your thoughts and goals. If you check your phone or somehow connect to technology within the first five minutes of waking up, stop! How you spend the first few minutes upon waking up has a big impact on the rest of your day.

Reduce distractions. Before the era of smartphones and social media, surfing the internet was mostly limited to using a desktop computer. Research has shown that smartphones may actually be rewiring our brains. Social media alone could be costing some of us almost fifty hours per month.

Whether you choose to unfollow, mute, or resort to more drastic measures like entering a phone rehab program, be mindful with which of your digital notifications act as distractions more than anything else.

Appreciate nature every day. What are some of the things you like about nature? Maybe it’s the sunrise, the seasons, or rainy weather that you’ve always felt drawn to. Simply observing nature often has a calming or humbling effect as it reminds us of the rhythm and continuity of life. Admiring the power and beauty of nature will make you feel more aware and connected to life away from a digital screen.

Prioritize rest. Trying to do too much at once often leaves us frazzled. Prioritize rest so that you’re able to improve your productivity levels. This means winding down at least thirty to sixty minutes before you head off to sleep. Not using your phone or computer during this time helps you to optimize your sleep environment — and your health.

Ask yourself what you can do without. Going on a technology detox will help you think about what else you can give up. Apply this to different areas in your life. For example, things you could do without may include Fear of Missing Out (FOMO), frivolous spending habits, a negative mindset, toxic colleagues, or a cluttered workstation. Think about how “less is more” in these areas, and take small steps towards making your desired life a reality.

Remember that there are many important reasons to unplug.

The last thing you want to do with your phone or digital devices is wonder how much of your life you’ve frittered away on mindless scrolling.

Be conscious of how you use technology and you’ll find your quality of life improve in fascinating ways.

***

Jess Chua is passionate about mindful living. She writes and edits content for the Optimal Living Daily Podcast, which features content from various blogs.



from Becoming Minimalist https://ift.tt/2ovDDIV

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire